As consumers, we are exposed to an overwhelming amount of sustainability claims about all sorts of products and services. It is often challenging to evaluate whether the claims are true and whether they make a real difference for the sustainability of a product. And too many claims are based more on beliefs or expectations than on real facts.
With our screening tool, you will be able to measure the climate footprint of each of your products as well as make alternative screenings, showing you what concrete difference your green initiatives and sustainable product development will have on our climate.
This is a highly valuable element of our tool because the demands for documentation and proof of our sustainable claims are increasing. Fortunately – because it helps prevent greenwashing.
Hence, on this page, we would like to clarify, what and how you may communicate about your use of our screening tool. We want to make it clear, that it is not only the CO2e results that are interesting to share with your clients, customers and suppliers. Our too is able to generate and show you much more.
The screening results – what can you say?
What you may communicate about the CO2e results generated from your product screenings depends on the level of verification. Naturally, the trustworthiness of the accuracy of the screening result relies on who have validated input data. If you choose to be your own control entity, you may communicate the worst case result. If you choose to have Målbar verify your screenings, you can communicate the expected CO2e number as long as you mention the uncertainty factor.
If you have your screenings verified by third party, you may shout out the main result and say that that is the expected emission on your product.
You can read more about how to have your screenings verified, what it costs and more details about how to communicate properly about it here.
Compare – the power of benchmarking
In the output package from our services, you can compare the climate footprint of your product with other products and services and even with relevant benchmarks from other categories.
We are on a mission to bring data and data knowledge to the broad audience, but not many are able to relate to a given amount of CO2-e but we can all relate to the comparison with kilometers driven in a family car, cups of café latte or hours of streaming.
When we have data, and we start familiarizing ourselves with it, then it becomes valuable and usable for everybody.
What else can you say?
- You can say that by interchanging one material to another, you have reduced your emission on the specific product by xx %
- You may tell your customers that by choosing another supplier, you have cut your transport emissions by xx % and minimized your production waste on this and that component.
- You may tell your competitors that they also can cut costs and reduce their climate impact by minimizing the time their products stay in a warehouse.
- You may make a note to your product development team that they can use the screening tool to find and learn about new, interesting materials.
- How you now know your value chain much better, and maybe have a closer relationship with your partners and suppliers.
- How you inspire your suppliers to reevaluate their production methods, waste policies, electricity consumption etc.